Monday, December 6, 2010

Hospitality - Being Gracious Colossians 4:2-6 Day 13

Folks often kid me about my accent since I grew up in the southern part of the United States and I don't sound the same as folks in Lancaster county Pennsylvania. Most of the time I take it in strides, but I am amazed at the way in which people will just interrupt what I am saying to ask me, "Where are you from? You're not from around here, are you?" They have not even heard a word I was saying but are more concerned to talk about my accent. More often than not, people will laugh at my speech or say, "I just love hearing you talk. It sounds so funny."



Well, most of the time, I am gracious and make some sort of comment about where I grew up and then move on to something else. However, this constant teasing and commenting about my accent often makes me feel like an outsider. I have lived in Pennsylvania for thirty years and I am still considered a foreigner! Imagine that - this is the longest I have ever lived anywhere and yet folks will tell me that I am not a native.



Now I could go on and talk about all the implications of that statement, but what I am getting at is something deeper than my accent, where I live and if I am accepted as a native or not. The scriptures over and again are full of instructions about hospitality. Honestly, I think we do very poorly at it. In this passage in Colossians, the writer talks about knowing the mystery of Christ, praying, and speaking graciously so we have wise words to tell others about God. This says to me that our manners are indicators of wisdom and our love for God! Recently I attended a religious event where people were invited to a dessert reception afterwards. I was amazed at how many people stood at the table where the food was served, did not move on, and just talked with the people they knew. They were oblivious to those still waiting and to the people who were visitors at the event. I was sad that in a moment of great opportunity to show hospitality, welcome, appreciation and the love of God, some of us chose to talk only to our buddies, hoard the table and ignore the guests!

It may seem like a small thing, but it is not. I am convinced that we will never grow our churches, share the good news of Christ, welcome the stranger and show the love of God if we continue to be this self centered. Oh yes, I have heard all the excuses - well Pastor Bonnie, I just needed to check with a member about an event coming up, or I assumed they had people to talk to, or I wasn't aware of the people behind me. That's exactly what I am saying - WE ARE NOT AWARE OF OUR LACK OF HOSPITALITY!

It starts with verse 2 in this passage - keep praying, be alert with thanksgiving! I am certain that when we are thankful to God for food, for friends, for the opportunity to gather and do not take these things for granted, then we become more loving and hospitable. Hospitality is connected to prayer! When we live in appreciation for all we are given, for all we are, then we are eager to share - our conversations, our lives, our food, our homes, our clothing and ourselves.

I wonder what God's reign on earth might look like if we show hospitality as Christ did - I believe we will be amazed!

Reflections and journaling
Blessing - when were you welcomed and felt a sense of being appreciated? How does showing hospitality show the love of God?

Challenge - what are some ways in which we exclude others - especially at seasonal church events? fellowship meals? When did you feel left out and how are you dealing with the pain? What are ways we can change our behaviours toward visitors? How do you greet others in your daily life? at the store? the gas station? the coffee shop?

Prayer: Open our eyes God and put wisdom on our lips. As you send friends we don't yet know into our paths, let us see them as your children, embracing them regardless of heritage, language or culture. Give us generous spirits that are unselfish and willing to be brave in our invitation to join our lives. In the name of Jesus who sought out the lonely, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment