Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Isaiah 49 God is our Strength

If you have been listening to the news lately, you know that we are in woeful times. If you are adhering to the advice of the advertisers you will believe that life is all about yourself and your well being.

The prophet Isaiah in this passage reminds us that we are called to be God's servants. Yet we are not without the tools necessary to be God's servants. In verse 5 the writer proclaims that God is his strength. How marvelous! In this day and age when we are wooed by the world's troubles and societal values, we are called to be the light and are girded with God's strength.

I find this particularly promising in this season of Advent and it fills me again with hope. I am reminded that life isn't just about me. Yesterday our secreatry was on vacation and it was my pleasure to answer the phone and the door. A myriad of people entered the building and called on the phone for an array of issues.

It was disconcerting at first to have so many interruptions - to be patient and listen carefully as each person described their need or question. Some people just wanted to inquire about our bazaar or work with the refugees. A few had topics of concern and wanted guidance. There were requests for food and money. Delivery persons seemed to want more than just a signature but lingered to talk. It was tempting to hurry throgh these interactions and get on to...what? What was I doing? What is really important today? As a Christian and as a pastor, called to be a servant in the world, it is to give hope. Sometimes hope comes in the form of a listening ear, a bag of groceries, an appointment for further dialogue, or directions on how to volunteer.

As I read Isaiah, I am reminded that through it all, God is our strength. This is great news for troubling times. No matter what happens around us, when we rely on God's strength, each moment can be a treasure of hope for someone! Today I pray that we can all relax a moment, breathe in the Holy Spirit, and draw on God's strength to be a servant. Spread the hope my friends, spread the hope!

Reflection and Journaling
blessing - How do I see God bringing hope in my world today? Share it with someone. When was God my strength this week?

Challenge - Am I truly being a servant of God and counting on God to anchor me? Do I reflect confidence in God or do I complain and whine about the situations in which we live? What stops me from being hopeful and giving hope to others?

Prayer - God, you are our rock, our strength. Today when we feel overwhelmed, weak, distraught, sad and lost, let us know your hope deep in our souls. Give us courage to turn to you when the outlook is bleak. Show us today where we can be hope for others. Revive our trust in you so that we may be servants and spread hope to those we meet. In the name of Jesus who gave hope as he ate with strangers. amen

No comments:

Post a Comment